Skills Training – Online Self-Presentation
In a growing digital world, online self-presentation skills are becoming more important for researchers. They can help to increase visibility, credibility as well as strengthen networks and the reputation as a researcher on an international level.
In our LBG Career Center Skills Training “Online Self-Presentation” with Bernhard Weingartner we discovered useful tools, methods and best practices on how to interact and network, convey key messages as well as visualize and share scientific content in an online setting.
Some key learnings:
- When speaking online:
- look directly into the camera – eye contact!
- speak with a loud and clear voice
- keep an enthusiastic but relaxed facial expression
- avoid flashy patterns or colors on clothes
- take short breaks and breathe
- be authentic
- Talk about your scientific findings as a fascinating story to reach your audience better
- Post short videos on Social Media to increase the visibility of your scientific work
- Start commenting on Social Media to increase your network
- Provide value to your target group (e.g. inform about relevant trends)
- Build up a visual identity and use it always and everywhere – continuity & consistency!